DAP Malaysia Day Message By DAP Secretary-General And Member Of Parliament For Bagan Lim Guan Eng In Kuala Lumpur, Kuching and Kota Kinabalu On 15.9.2012.
Reclaiming Sabah And Sarawak’s Status In The Federal Constitution As Equal Partners With Peninsular Malaysia With Emphasis On 5 Critical Areas Of Political And Socio-Economic Development.
On 16.9.1963, both Sabah and Sarawak joined Peninsular Malaysia as equal partners to form Malaysia under the Federal Constitution. 49 years later, Sabah and Sarawak has emerged as unequal partners as compared with Peninsular Malaysia. This has caused widespread resentment and even disillusionment that Sabahans and Sarawakians have gone backwards and lost out in almost every aspect as compared to Peninsular Malaysia.
Despite huge natural resources, Sabah remains the poorest state in Malaysia and both states’ roads and infrastructure are nothing compared to Peninsular Malaysia. If PR wins power, PR will reclaim Sabah and Sarawak’s status in the Federal Constitution as equal partners with Peninsular Malaysia with emphasis on 6 critIcal areas of political and socio-economic development.
The choice for Sabah is clear whether they wish to remain as the poorest state in Malaysia or change and aspire to be the richest state in Malaysia with these 6 fundamental changes.
1. Equitable share of oil and natural gas by increasing from 5% to 20% to resolve long-standing problems relating to economy, education and poverty eradication;
2. Improve the disgraceful state of road infrastructure as well as upgrade existing ports and airports.
3. Ensure adequate and uninterrupted supply of water and electricity. Install free wifi in public places to provide internet access and connectivity for all.
4. Establish a Royal Commission of Inquiry to take action against those responsible and resolve the crisis of illegal citizens;
5. Appoint wherever possible Sabahans for the government positions in Federal and state departments; and
6. A people-centric land policy by ensuring that those holding public political posts are not qualified to apply for state land; no removal or degradation of 999 year land titles to 99 years; and automatic renewal of land leases upon expiry with payment of only 10% of land premium(90% discount).